BASES International Conference Grants - deadline 1 March
9th February 2022
We are now accepting applications for BASES International Conference Grants.
Number Offered: Up to 3 each year
Target BASES Membership Category: Professional
Application Closing Date: 1 March and 1 September (each year)
Apply for this grant: Click here to download the application form
Results Available: Within a month of the application closing date
Previous Winners: Click here
Aim of grant
The BASES International Conference Grants aim to assist researchers to present free communications at international sport and exercise science-related scientific conferences. Three grants for up to a total of £500 each are available.
- The applicant is a Professional Member of BASES for the past two years.
- The applicant is the presenting author.
- The applicant has read the Terms and Conditions of the BASES International Conference Grants.
- The applicant can certify at the time of application that the abstract has been accepted as a free communication presentation at the conference detailed in the application form. Poster presentations are not eligible.
- The abstract must be the only one submitted by the applicant for the grant. Application forms containing more than one abstract will not be considered.
- The applicant has not submitted a BASES International Conference Grant application within the past year.
- The applicant has not received a BASES International Conference Grant within the past 3 years.
- The conference has not taken place at the time of applying and is held outside the UK.
- The applicant must submit the International Conference Grant application form. Only information contained within the application form will be considered.
- Within four weeks of receiving the grant award letter, recipients shall contact the TSES Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to propose an article submission for The Sport and Exercise Scientist.
- Within six weeks of attending the conference, the recipient shall submit the article which has been agreed with the Editor for publication in The Sport and Exercise Scientist.
- Each application is assessed against the following criteria:
- The calibre and relevance of the international sport and exercise science-related scientific conference;
- the impact and interest of the abstract;
- the applicant’s service to BASES
|Closing Date||Applicable conferences||Results due||TSES article deadline|
|1 Mar||The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) conference, The European Congress of Sport Science (ECSS); or other international conferences taking place between 1 February and 31 July||April/May||15 Sept (Winter issue)|
|1 Sept||The Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) conference; or other international conferences taking place between 1 August and 31 January||Sept/Oct||15 March (Summer issue)|
Terms and conditions
- In making an application for a grant, the applicant agrees to abide by each of the terms and conditions contained within this schedule, upon and following any award of a grant.
- This schedule, together with the requirements set out in the application guidelines and any subsequent grant offer letter, constitute the agreement between BASES and the recipient.
- BASES international conference grants are to cover conference registration, travel and economy flights and conference accommodation costs only.
- The grant awarded shall not be used for any purpose other than that stated in the grant offer letter. If a conference is cancelled or the scheduled venue or dates of a conference change after a grant has been allocated, then the recipient must notify BASES of the changes, so that the award can be re-assessed.
- Only one submission per applicant is permissible in a year. Recipients of a grant can only apply for a grant after 3 years.
- The decision is final in all cases and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Grants will not be made in the absence of submissions of sufficient merit.
- Presenters shall use the BASES PowerPoint Title Slide.
- Within four weeks of receiving the grant award letter, recipients of a grant shall contact the editor of The Sport and Exercise Scientist email@example.com, to discuss the submission of an article for consideration in The Sport and Exercise Scientist. The emphasis of the article should be on contributing to the continuing professional development of sport and exercise scientists by promoting evidence-based practice. It would typically be a 2-page reflective article highlighting what has been learnt from the process and providing practical knowledge that readers can take away and apply. It may take the form of an article, an interview, reflections and top tips, or include a commentary from another person. Please do not submit an article before agreeing with Dr Claire Hitchings the focus and format of the article. Articles that are extended research abstracts or conference reports will not be accepted. Grant recipients are advised to read the ‘ Guidelines for Contributors to The Sport and Exercise Scientist ’.
- To receive the grant, recipients of a grant shall within six weeks of the conference listed in their grant award letter:
- If an expense claim form and an article (with the focus and format agreed with the TSES Editor) are not received within four weeks of the conference, recipients will not receive the grant and will be ineligible for funding again.
- The payment of a grant is subject, at all times, to BASES being satisfied that all these conditions are being complied with. Failure to do so may result in grant entitlements being rescinded, and grant payments having to be refunded to BASES.