Helping address the climate change emergency
1st November 2021
As world leaders gather in Glasgow for the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26), BASES is doing its part to tackle the climate change emergency as a signature of both the United Nations Sports for Climate Action Framework and the Pledge to Net Zero.
Thanks to input from members through the recent short survey conducted by our Climate Change Action Team (CCAT), the CCAT is making good progress on the following workstreams:
- Drafting a Climate Change Action Plan.
- Organising a BASES webinar on Sport and Exercise Science and Climate Change.
- Creating a BASES climate action webpage; this public-facing page will include updates, information, resources, and suggested reading.
- Exploring how the Association’s events and publications might enable us to meet Principle 5 of the UN Sports for Climate Action principles to ‘advocate for climate action through communication’.
- Planning to meet our Pledge to Net Zero, starting by setting a science-based target informed by an audit of the Association’s current carbon footprint.
To ensure this work has a real impact the CCAT will ensure that all its work is:
- Relevant to Sport and Exercise Science.
- Practical and grounded.
- Impactful and focused on real change.
- Informed by the scientific evidence.
- Guided by input from members and responsive to their ideas and experiences.
Thanks go to the CCAT for advancing this project. The Team comprises of Dr Andy Smith MBE FBASES (Chair), Dr Susie Crawford, Annabelle Davis, Romain Denis, Louise Ellis, Dr Andrew Garrett, Dr Lee Graves, Dr Stephen Mears, Dr Ash Willmott and Dr Julia Zakrzewski-Fruer.