Updates to the BASES Undergraduate Endorsement Scheme criteria
25th April 2019
The BASES Undergraduate Endorsement Scheme (BUES) is the recognised standard for sport and exercise science undergraduate degree programmes in the UK. Endorsement is awarded to courses that provide the necessary foundation of knowledge, technical skills and competencies required to succeed in the profession.
In 2017, a Task Group was set up to review the BUES scheme and make recommendations to ensure it remains robust, relevant and fit for purpose. BASES has now implemented a series of updates and improvements to the BUES endorsement criteria and application process that will increase the number of degree programmes that are eligible for endorsement – view the BUES Application Guidelines for more details.
As part of BASES agreement with the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA), the updated BUES scheme also includes the option for institutions applying for BASES endorsement to obtain endorsement for a range of relevant CIMSPA professional standards, including Working with people with long-term health conditions and Personal Trainer.
What are the main benefits of BUES endorsement for academic institutions?
- Provides undergraduate degree programmes with independent recognition from the professional body representing sport and exercise sciences in the UK
- Provides quality assurance for prospective students and parents about the curriculum, resources and facilities offered by a degree programme
- All BUES endorsed courses benefit from promotion via the BASES Endorsed Course Directory (BASES website), the BASES Careers Guide (printed and online editions) and BASES quarterly publication, The Sport and Exercise Scientist.
Institutions with an endorsed degree programme also benefit from:
- The right to promote degrees as 'BASES endorsed’
- Use of the official BASES endorsement logo.
- Free printed copies of the BASES Careers Guide
- A range of discounts and preferential rates on BASES products and services
- Preferential bulk membership rates for students and staff.
Many universities are already reaping the benefits of BASES endorsement - view the full list of BASES endorsed courses here.
What are the main benefits to students of choosing a BUES endorsed course?
- Quality assured courses that will provide the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and competencies deemed essential to enter into the sport and exercise science profession
- Confidence in receiving a robust and rounded curriculum; teaching by staff with appropriate qualifications and expertise; and access to good laboratory facilities ensuring hands-on experience in the methods used by practicing sport and exercise scientists
- Make the first step towards becoming a BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist; completing a BUES endorsed degree means many of the knowledge and technical skill requirements for BASES Accreditation have been met.
How to apply
All applications (including renewals) are submitted by completing the BUES Application Form and sending the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be submitted at any time through the year but will only be reviewed following the submission deadline dates of 6 January, 6 May and 6 September.