BASES Undergraduate Endorsement Scheme (BUES)
The BASES Undergraduate Endorsement Scheme (BUES) awards endorsement to sport and exercise science degree courses that provide undergraduates with the opportunity to develop the knowledge and skills essential to enter into the profession.
BASES is a professional membership association that has endorsed sport and exercise science undergraduate courses since the scheme was launched in 2005. BUES is now the recognised standard for all sport and exercise science undergraduate degree programmes in the UK*.
BASES endorsement is awarded to courses that meet criteria covering the necessary foundation of sport and exercise science knowledge, technical skills and professional development competencies required to succeed in the profession. When reviewing a course, BASES considers the curriculum, the practical experience gained by students and the resources and facilities of the institution. Further details of the criteria and application process are provided below.
To gain BASES endorsement, applicants must demonstrate that an undergraduate degree satisfies the criteria outlined in the BUES Application Form, which is structured around the following sections:
- Scientific knowledge
- Technical skills
- Application of interdisciplinary knowledge and skills
- Understanding and use of research
- Professional development and practice
- Employability and career readiness:
- Professional accreditation and affiliations of academic staff
Within the application form, applicants are required to provide a brief narrative explanation of how the course meets each of the specified criteria and reference the documents (e.g. module descriptors, laboratory manuals) that provide supporting evidence.
How to apply
Application submissions are open throughout the year and can be submitted at any time.
Payment can be made either by invoice (please provide purchase order number) or by credit card please call the office number.
The endorsement fee for a single degree course is £1,800 + VAT. This covers the cost of the
application review and assessment process; and the five-year period of endorsement.
For additional courses, routes or pathways that are part of the same ‘programme framework’ and therefore submitted within the same application, the endorsement fee is £400 + VAT for each additional named route/pathway. To be classed a part of the same ‘programme framework’, all of the different routes/pathways must share common ‘core’ modules making up at least 75% of the total course content.
If an application for endorsement is not successful 80% of the total application fee will be refunded.
Additional Information for Applicants
Benefits of BASES endorsement
BASES endorsement gives university departments credibility and evidence of quality assurance from the leading UK professional body in sport and exercise sciences.
When an undergraduate degree course is BASES endorsed, it sends a message to students, parents, careers advisors, employers and other university departments that the course provides a robust curriculum and ensures graduating students are well prepared to enter into the sport and exercise science profession.
In addition to the marketing benefits of degree endorsement, BUES will also be an invaluable resource (alongside QAA subject benchmark statements) for departments and staff who are validating/re-validating or reviewing their degree programmes.
BASES endorsement differentiates your course(s) from those at other institutions. We therefore encourage you to communicate your course endorsement through your website, printed materials, social media and public relations' campaigns.
The cost for each course endorsement application is £1,800 + VAT. This covers the cost of processing and reviewing the application, in addition to the five-year period of endorsement. The fee for additional named pathways within a BUES application is £400 + VAT. More details can be found in the BUES Application Guidelines.
During the five-year period of endorsement, all endorsed degrees will be:
- Listed on the BASES Endorsed Course directory and Course Finder directory on the BASES website
- Listed in the BASES Careers Guide (printed and online editions)
- Listing in the BASES quarterly publication, The Sport and Exercise Scientist and BASES monthly newsletter (following endorsement/re-endorsement)
- Permission to promote degree programmes as 'BASES endorsed' including use of the BASES Endorsed Undergraduate Course logo.
Institutions with a BUES endorsed degree will also benefit from the following:
- Free printed copies of the BASES Careers Guide
- Exclusive discounts: 20% off advertising a course in BASES quarterly publication, The Sport and Exercise Scientist, and 25% off job vacancy listings
- Preferential bulk membership rates for students and staff.
If an application is unsuccessful, 80% of the total application fee will be refunded.
Additional Information for Students
Benefits of studying a BASES endorsed degree
With so many undergraduate courses available it is important that you consider which is the best for you. The BASES Undergraduate Endorsement Scheme was originally launched in 2005 with the aim of raising standards of education provision to students; and continues to be the hallmark of quality assurance and high standards for sport and exercise science undergraduate courses.
To help you make the decision of which course to study, the following is offered as a guide to the key characteristics of a course endorsed by BASES:
- BASES endorsed courses have been assured in recognition of a robust and rounded curriculum and appropriate resources for training sport and exercise scientists.
- BASES endorsed courses provide undergraduates with the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and competencies deemed essential to enter into the sport and exercise science profession.
- BASES endorsed courses cover the three sub-disciplines of sport and exercise science - physiology, biomechanics and psychology - in sufficient depth, as well as covering interdisciplinary approaches.
- Endorsement ensures that there are good laboratory facilities to which you will have access. This will help to ensure that you get hands-on experience in the methods used by practicing sport and exercise scientists.
- Endorsement ensures you will be taught by staff with appropriate qualifications, expertise and professional body accreditation, including those accredited by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES).
Note: What BUES does not aim to evaluate is the quality of the course, as this is already done through internal quality assurance mechanisms under the auspices of the QAA.
BASES Accreditation and Supervised Experience
Individuals who have a BASES endorsed undergraduate degree (and go on to complete a relevant postgraduate degree) will be considered as having the required level of underpinning technical knowledge and understanding for BASES Accreditation. BASES Accreditation is awarded to practitioners deemed to have the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to be safe and fit to practice effectively and independently as a sport and exercise scientist.
Applications to join Supervised Experience (the most common route to BASES Accreditation) or direct applications for BASES Accreditation are simplified for those who have completed a BASES endorsed course, as the content has already been approved as meeting the standards required.
Additional Information for Employers
|For employers looking to acquire the best sport and exercise scientists, a BASES endorsed degree course provides you with the confidence that graduates of BASES endorsed programmes have received the curriculum, resources and opportunities enabling the development of knowledge and skills required to train as sport and exercise scientists.
Look out for this logo, or refer to the BASES Endorsed Course directory to confirm whether an undergraduate degree course is endorsed by BASES.
*BASES endorsement of Sport and Exercise Science undergraduate degrees is awarded to courses that meet criteria covering the necessary foundation of sport and exercise science knowledge, technical skills and professional development competencies required to succeed in the profession.
BASES Undergraduate Endorsement Scheme (BUES) is now the recognised standard for all sport and exercise science undergraduate degree programmes in the UK. CIMSPA endorsement of Sport and Exercise Science degrees reflects the inclusion of content that maps to standards required in roles within the physical activity and fitness sector e.g personal trainer, fitness instructor.
As such, it is appropriate for a degree to be endorsed by both organisations.