BASES Certified Exercise Practitioner
BASES Certified Exercise Practitioner (CEP) is a professional certification providing recognition for exercise professionals with a sport and exercise science degree. CEP establishes the credibility of practitioners who can demonstrate the necessary practical vocational knowledge and skills to work effectively in a clinical exercise environment, underpinned by an academic qualification to degree level.
To apply for BASES Certified Exercise Practitioner, you will need to meet the following criteria:
1. BASES membership (professional or graduate or student)
2. Undergraduate degree in sport and/or exercise science that is either;
- BASES endorsed (BUES) or
- Includes a suite of studies in physiology, psychology and movement analysis (biomechanics/motor behaviour) that meets BUES criteria (See Appendix 1 ).
3. Demonstrate practical vocational knowledge and skills by holding an advanced exercise instructors’ qualification in one of the following:
- At least one of the following: A Recognised Specialist Exercise Instructor Qualification (i.e. specialist exercise instructor courses, such as cancer, cardiac, diabetes, falls, low back pain, neurological conditions, respiratory, or stroke, that were recognised by REPs at Level 4 and are now endorsed by Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity [CIMSPA]).
- ACSM Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CEP)
4. Members are advised to attend an appropriate safeguarding children and vulnerable adults workshop if required by the nature of their work.
BASES Certified Exercise Practitioner accreditation lasts for 3 years, at which point members will be required to renew.
Click here for an application form. Fee is £16.00.
Click here for a renewal form. Fee is £11.00.
To maintain certification this must be renewed every three years with a minimum of 36 CPD hours gained through attending for example BASES workshops, BASES conference, REPs recognised courses or relevant non-BASES CPD. Please provide a list of where your hours have been obtained.
Click here for FAQs
Professionals suitably qualified and experienced may wish to consider applying to become a Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist with the Registration Council for Clinical Physiologists/Academy for Healthcare Science through Clinical Exercise Physiology UK (CEP-UK), an affiliate group of BASES.