BASES publishes one Editor's Choice article from each issue of The Sport and Exercise Scientist. Click on the links below to view articles. Every edition of The Sport and Exercise Scientist is available for members to download from the Members' Area.
Issue 71 Spring 2022
- Editor's Choice: Real World - Lifting the lid on performance staff salaries
- The BASES Expert Statement on protein recommendations for athletes: amount, type and timing
- Final Word with Dr. Shaun McLaren
Issue 70 Winter 2021
- Editor's Choice: Student retention in Higher Education (HE). Time for a rethink?
- The BASES Expert Statement on the use of cooling therapies for post exercise recovery
- Final Word with Dr. Mike Price FBASES
Issue 69 Autumn 2021
- Editor's Choice: Real World - A stitch in time saves nine: the importance of biological maturation for talented athlete development
- The BASES Expert Statement on psychological considerations for injury risk reduction in competitive sport
- Final Word with Professor Sue Backhouse FBASES
Issue 68 Summer 2021
- Editor's Choice: Real World - Training load and injury: speculation is not knowledge
- The BASES Expert Statement on Eligibility for Sex Categories in Sport: DSD Athletes
- The BASES Expert Statement on Eligibility for Sex Categories in Sport: Trans Athletes
- Final Word with Dr Kotryna Fraser
Issue 67 Spring 2021
- Editor's Choice: Thriving as a female in professional sport
- The BASES Expert Statement on Graduated Return to Play Following Covid-19 Infection
- Final Word with Dr Sarah Gilchrist FBASES
Issue 66 Winter 2020
- Editor's Choice: Real World - Performance Data: less is more?
- The BASES Expert Statement on the Importance of Fundamental Movement Skills for Children's Physical Activity and Health
- Final Word with Assoc. Prof Adam Hawkey FBASES
Issue 65 Autumn 2020
- Editor's Choice: Saxton Surmises - Coronavirus diaries: silver linings, challenges and opportunities emerge from the dark clouds
- The BASES Expert Statement on Conducting and Implementing Female Athlete-Based Research
- Final Word with Prof Vicky Tolfrey FBASES
Issue 64 Summer 2020
- Editor's Choice: Time to turn the hierarchy of evidence on its head?
- The BASES Expert Statement on the Role of High-intensity Interval Exercise for Health and Fitness Promotion in Young People
- Final Word with Dr Adam Gledhill FBASES
Issue 63 Spring 2020
- Editor's Choice: Exersize with PACE provokes controversy
- The BASES Expert Statement on the Use of Music for Movement among People with Parkinson's
- BASES Psychology Accreditation Route (SEPAR)
- Final Word with Dr Ailsa Niven FBASES
Issue 62 Winter 2019
- Editor's Choice: Impact of sport and exercise science education on the UK economy
- The BASES Expert Statement on Extracellular Buffering Agents
- BASES Annual Report 2018-2019
- Final Word with Professor Craig Sale
Issue 61 Autumn 2019
- Editor's Choice: Needed: post-trial access in exercise interventions
- The BASES Expert Statement on Burnout in Sport
- An interview with Prof Catherine Sabiston, a speaker at BASES Conference 2019
Issue 60 Summer 2019
- Editor's Choice: Is sports science support effective?
- The BASES Expert Statement on Reflective Practice: the Key to Experimental Learning
- BASES Membership Survey results
Issue 59 Spring 2019
- Editor's Choice: Real World: Performance support at the Sport Ireland Institute and Weight stigma and discrimination: considerations for sport and exercise scientists
- The BASES Expert Statement on Mental Health Literacy in Elite Sport
- BASES Conference 2019 - King Power Stadium, Leicester, 19-20 November
Issue 58 Winter 2018
- Editor's Choice: It's no choke: the long-term consequences of choking in sport
- The BASES Expert Statement on The Role of Breakfast-Physical Activity Interactions for Energy Balance and Metabolic Health
- BASES Student Conference 17-18 April 2019 Dundee, Scotland
Issue 57 Autumn 2018
- Editor's Choice: Dehydration and endurance performance: why hasn’t research in this area dried up?
- The BASES Expert Statement on Exercise Training for People with Intermittent Claudication due to Peripheral Arterial Disease
- An interview with Prof Jens Bangsbo, a keynote speaker at BASES Conference 2018
Issue 56 Summer 2018
- Editor's Choice: Qualitative research: Developing rigour
- The BASES Expert Statement on the Process and Outcomes of Developing Exercise Guidelines for Adults with Spinal Cord Injury
- Are you interested in becoming a BASES Division Chair?
Issue 55 Spring 2018
- Editor's Choice: Developing resilience in elite sport: the role of the environment
- FODMAPS:are they a solution to a common problem in elite sport?
- Physical activity and the medical curriculum
- Interview with the new BASES Chair-Elect
Issue 54 Winter 2017
- Editor's Choice: Eating disorders in sport: the last taboo in applied sport psychology?
- BASES Expert Statement on Inadvertent Doping in Sport
- Player monitoring in team sport: have we opened Pandora's box?
- BASES Conference 2018, Harrogate Convention Centre, 27-28 November 2018
Issue 53 Autumn 2017
- Editor's Choice: What advice would you give to your 21-year-old self?
- Ultra endurance exercise: a model to examine the limits of physiological function
- The promise of online interventions: from sports to the dining table
- BASES Expert Statement on Interventions for Improving Performance in the Heat
- BASES-FEPSAC Conference 2017 - Overview and Programme
Issue 52 Summer 2017
- Editor's Choice: Research methods and employability in the sport and exercise sciences - are we throwing the baby out with the bathwater?
- Exercise and physical activity - the ultimate anti-ageing pill?
- Interview with Tom Holden, BASES new Executive Director
- 'Social' sport as a social science
Issue 51 Spring 2017
- Editor's Choice: What does 'elite' mean in sport and why does it matter?
- Professional doctorates: a better way to deliver doctoral level education to applied practitioners
- Immunity and illness in athletes
- Ability, disability and mobility: an interview with Micky Yule
Issue 50 Winter 2016
- Editor's Choice: Blackcurrant intake: making headway an an ergogenic acid!
- Investigating the benefits of enhancing reflective skills on the practice behaviour of health practitioners
- Re-accreditation - what's changed and why
- BASES Fellowships
Issue 49 Autumn 2016
- Editor's Choice: Tri-ing to bridge the gap between evidence and practise: what do we know, and what do they do?
- Cross-disciplinarity in sport (and) psychology
- The BASES Expert Statement on Safeguarding in the Sport and Exercise Sciences
- The BASES Expert Statement on Fitness, Physical Activity and Exercise after Stroke
Issue 48 Summer 2016
- Editor's Choice: Caveat author: avoid opaque open access journals!
- The BASES Expert Statement on Athletic Recovery Strategies
- BASES Conference 2016
- BASES Applied Practitioner Award
Issue 47 Spring 2016
- Editor's Choice: Exercise medicine in the training of future health care professionals: for tomorrow's patients
- 'Baseline to start line' Physical preparation through the Rio Olympiad
- The BASES Strategic Plan
- BASES Conference 2016 abstract submission guidelines
Issue 46 Winter 2015
- Editor's Choice: 'Baseline to start line' Physical preparation through the Rio Olympiad
- Athena SWAN or ugly duckling?
- BASES Conference 2015 overview
- The BASES Expert Statement on the Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Body Mass Regulation: Individual Variability and Compensatory Responses
Issue 45 Autumn 2015
- Editor's Choice: The intervention is possibly beneficial (and most unlikely harmful) Magnitude-based inference and null-hypothesis significance testing
- Are architects and engineers putting public health at risk?
- The BASES Expert Statement on Aerobic Training for Older and Clinical Groups using Arm Crank Ergometry
- The BASES Expert Statement on Assessment and Management of Non-asthma Related Breathing Problems in Athletes
Issue 44 Summer 2015
- Editor's Choice: Murphy's laws of physical activity and health
- Road to Rio - supporting the whole human being and not just the athlete
- BASES Applied Practitioner of the Year
- Exercise as medicine
Issue 43 Spring 2015
- Editor's Choice: Applied sport psychology: An expert panel discussion
- Animals as a source of inspiration for human athletes
- Fat oxidation during exercise